Saturday, July 18, 2009

What's a Person to do?

If I were standing on the street corner and I saw a little kid run out into the street chasing an errant ball, and I saw a car approaching, I would run after the kid and grab him out of the way of the car.

If I were sitting around out on my deck visiting with my family and a large bee landed on one of them, and I knew this person was allergic, I would alert them and help them divest their arm of the offending interloper.

Most people would do the same: you see someone in trouble or possibly in life threatening danger, and you take action. We are not called to stand idly by while others are hurt. I've got your back if you've got mine, right? Give and take. Some people go one step farther: I've got your back, even when you aren't looking. Don't worry about returning the favor. I've got your back because I love you.

In essence, this is what I am trying to do with my blogs and constant postings on facebook. I am trying to cover my loved ones' backs. More than that, though, I am trying to educate.

I share the links and information that I come upon in my Internet travels as a way of supplementing the information that is provided by the mainstream media. I am so very grateful that we have this great new invention called the Internet.

I think some of my family and friends are growing weary of my constant tirades. They complain that this is all I think about. Truly, I do think about other things, but admittedly, the events that are taking place in our country today are at the forefront of most of my thoughts.

I'm not trying to shove my opinion down anyone's throat - I am trying to open people's eyes. I'm not trying to turn everyone I know into little mini-me's. I am trying to share what I believe to be the flip side of the MSM coin.

Would you walk into a car dealership and purchase a used car without questioning the salesman about the condition of the car? You might even take that car to a mechanic you know and have him give it the once over, just for your peace of mind. You would never accept what the salesman says at "face value." He's in it for the money. He isn't there to become your best friend.

Why, then, do people take what the MSM reports at "face value" without questioning the contents of their reports? If I turn on the news and the reporter declares "The president has won the support of the American Medical Association for the new socialized medicine plan being debated in the House today," I would want to know who represents the AMA, what the proposal and debates are saying, and mostly, how this affects Americans, not just myself.

And so I sit at my laptop everyday, reading articles and clicking the links provided for verification of the validity of the article. If I find something that I consider to be relevant, I share it. If not, I move along.

I will continue to throw the information out there for any and all to see, to read and to watch. What is done with it after the exposure I have provided is entirely up to the reader.

We should never be too old to question or to learn. We should never be too complacent to care.

This is why I continue my toil: I have your back.

4 comments:

  1. Great post S'marty.

    Thanks very much for going to the trouble of researching the issues. You only have to watch Jay Leno to see how uniformed people are these days. There's something in the bible about not putting a light under a basket. Thanks for sharing your light with us. Keep on shinning!

    I've got your back,

    Pops

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Pops! That Leno segment ("Jay Walking") is hilarious, but oh so telling of the kind of people who blindly believe what is reported on the news - and who therefore never looked into who Obama was before voting for him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please keep it up. It's encouraging to read honest and sensible commentary on the dangerous place to which this government has brought us. You rock!

    thom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks TR! I really appreciate the read and the comment. Us lone bloggers sometimes feel as though we are shouting into an empty cave. Stick around - there's more to come!

    -S'marty

    ReplyDelete

S'ubscribe to S'marty!